Across the United States, people are celebrating Cinco de Mayo but probably don't know the true meaning behind it. Thumbs down to over-imbibing and driving.
Saturation patrols have additional officers blanketing streets known for drunken driving stops, arrests, crashes and deaths. In Waco, Texas, a college fraternity at Baylor University was suspended after throwing a Cinco de Mayo party where students reportedly dressed as construction workers and maids and chanted "Build that Wall", a reference to Trump's signature campaign promise.
Funding for the local DUI operations come from California Office of Traffic Safety grants, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
The Battle of Puebla took place May 5, 1862. Although the fighting continued after the battle and the French remained for another five years, the victory at Puebla became symbolic.More news: Last Time They Met In The Playoffs: Warriors vs Jazz
Friday marks the 155th anniversary of the holiday synonymous with margaritas, cervezas (beer) and Mexican food.
That sombrero you're wearing, for instance, is never appropriate, unless you're of Mexican heritage.
After all, France still occupied Mexico until they officially withdrew several years after the Battle of Puebla in 1867.
Vice President Mike Pence on Thursday celebrated Cinco de Mayo like so many clueless white people do: by being brazenly offensive to Mexican-Americans.More news: Always Dreaming pulls away to win Kentucky Derby
Some of the largest celebrations in the USA are held in Los Angeles and in towns throughout the west.
Officials say the number of people arrested for DWI on Cinco de Mayo typically goes up when the holiday falls on a weekend. Want to throw your own Cinco de Mayo party? It's Chandler, Arizona. Even Vancouver celebrates, marking the day with a "skydiving boogie" that consists of aerial acrobatics and an air show.
Whatever you can donate, whether it's a few bucks a month or one donation a year, help the Mexican Cultural Institute of NY promote and protect Mexican culture in the United States, in addition to creating programs that enhance local communities.More news: Trump congratulates Macron on 'big win' in French election
- USA aircraft carrier starts drill with South Korean navy
- Arsenal end Man United's unbeaten run
- At least 50 Afghan soldiers killed in retaliatory fire, says IG FC
- Palestinian hunger-strikers are being 'cynically exploited', says Israeli minister
- Emmanuel Macron Declared Next French President
- Jailed Palestinian Terrorist And Hunger Strike Leader Caught On Tape Eating
- Mark Hamill Celebrates May the 4th With Hilarious 'Star Wars' Fan Pranks
- NBA Roundup: Warriors go up 3-0 on Jazz
- Jardim: 'Efficiency made the difference' UEFA Champions League
- Middlesbrough relegated after 3-0 defeat at leaders Chelsea