Chennai: Four persons, including two children, died while five persons were injured after a fire broke out at an apartment complex in the busy Vadapalani locality early Monday. The fire, which started at 4.45 am, is suspected to have been caused by a short circuit in the fuse box of the apartment on South Perumal Street in Vadapalani.
District collector Anbuselvan told the media that the four died due to asphyxiation as per the preliminary finding by doctors.More news: Tillerson, Lavrov to meet this week in Washington
As many as 21 two-wheelers parked in the complex were gutted in the fire. The reason behind the fire is yet to be known.
Soon a thick smoke billowed and spread to the top floors choking to death four people, who were sleeping and could not come out of their flats located on the first floor. "As they had inhaled a large amount of carbon monoxide, we had given them adequate antibiotics to prevent lung and brain congestion", the Dean of the Kilpauk Medical College and hospital, Dr Vasantha Mani said.More news: Ryan Seacrest is Kelly Ripa's new co-host on 'Live'
Police and fire service personnel rushed to the spot and doused the fire.
Police and forensic experts are trying to find out the cause of the blaze. "The best treatment was being provided to the injured", she added.More news: Mark Selby fights back but John Higgins still leads overnight
Police said Ayyappan, 19, Martin, 24, Thangam, 22, Antony, 14, Panchaliyammal, 60, Vijayalakshmi, 41, Sridhar, 60, and Dheenadayalan, 33, were injured and have been hospitalised.
- Fury: I can beat AJ with one arm tied behind my back
- Barcelona Celebrates 4-1 Victory Over Villarreal
- Cavs take 3-0 lead; Spurs up
- Braden Holtby will start Game 3 for Capitals against Penguins
- China Mulling Shutdown of Key Trade Channel With North Korea
- China's First Civilian Airliner - And Industry Ambitions - Take Maiden Flight
- Punjab keep playoff hopes alive with win over RCB
- Stock Futures Dip After Macron Win in French Election
- Premature lamb successfully grown in plastic womb offers hope for human babies
- France's Macron got 10m more votes than Le Pen in election