- American Sandra Suh was deported in April 2015 after being accused of making anti-North Korea propaganda while visiting the country.
And Kim Dong Chul, the president of a company involved in worldwide trade and hotel services, was arrested in 2015 and is serving 10 years on espionage charges.
"He was intercepted for committing criminal acts of hostility aimed to overturn the DPRK not only in the past but also during his last stay before interception", KCNA said in confirming reports of Tony Kim's arrest. The country's ministry of state security said in a statement that the spy agency bribed a North Korean man named Kim to carry out the deed.
The State Department acknowledged the new detention.More news: Zero women are involved in drafting the Senate GOP's Obamacare repeal plan
All religion is banned in North Korea, a totalitarian state that requires all its citizens to worship the three generations of the Kim family who have run the country through a personality cult since the end of World War II.
With Pyongyang openly fantasizing about blowing up the U.S. Capitol Building and Kim Jong-un accusing the United States of trying to assassinate him, relations between North Korea and the U.S. are not in a good place right now. North Korea maintains that their nuclear program was created for self-defense.
North Korea on Friday accused the Central Intelligence Agency of attempting to assassinate leader Kim Jong Un using a biochemical substance.
He worked in agriculture development at an experimental farm at the Pyongyang University of Science and Technology.
"Although such hostage talks don't usually lead to negotiation over missile or nuclear weapons. the added numbers can certainly hamper and limit options the U.S. can take over North Korea", Koh said. Kim Dong Chul, a South Korean-born US citizen told CNN he was president of a trade and hotel services company in Rason, North Korea.More news: Derick Brassard breaks hearts of former Rangers teammates with vital goal
Murphy clarified that Washington was not encouraging ASEAN states to formally cut ties with Pyongyang, but to examine the North Korean presence "where it clearly exceeds diplomatic needs".
It did not comment on the reason for Kim's arrest but said it was "not connected in any way with the work of PUST".
The fourth detainment of a US citizen comes at the heels of North Korea has just threatened to strike United States aircraft carrier, USS Carl Vinson, with one single strike.
North Korea has previously detained USA citizens to use as bargaining chips and analysts believe Kim Jong-un is using them to show defiance as well as lessen the likelihood of any attack being launched against the state. The president of the university says Kim was trying to help an orphanage. Kim was accused of stealing military secrets and is serving a 10-year sentence.More news: Watford boxer Anthony Joshua to fight again in 2017, says Eddie Hearn
- Trump camp highlights first 100 days in new TV ad
- Pedroia Injured as Red Sox Fall 2-0 to Baltimore
- MTV kept its Movie & TV Awards irreverent but progressive
- Republican healthcare bill 'a huge tax cut for guys like me': Buffett
- List of winners from the 2017 MTV Movie and TV Awards
- Dover Banksy mural shows star chiselled off European Union flag
- Celebrities ignore New York City smoking ban at annual Met Gala
- Brilliant Marcus Rashford free-kick gets Manchester United in front
- Sanders defends Trump's praise of Australian healthcare system
- MTV Awards salute 'Beauty and the Beast,' 'Stranger Things'