Some 10,000 young Jews from over 40 countries took part in the March of the Living at the former German Nazi Auschwitz death camp in southern Poland on Monday. "They were murdered by an evil that words can not describe and that the human heart can not bear", Trump said in a video for the World Jewish Congress on Yom HaShoah, Israel's Holocaust remembrance day.
175 museum members, donors and Holocaust survivors are expected to attend the ceremony. A public reading of names also took place in Israel's parliament, where Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and other leaders recited names of relatives who were killed.
Israel was established in 1948, just three years after the end of the war, and hundreds of thousands of survivors fled there.More news: Former Bachelor star arrested in Buchanan
More than 213,000 Holocaust survivors live in Israel today, many of them below the poverty line, according to survivors' groups. Restaurants, cafes and places of entertainment shut down, and radio and TV programs are dedicated nearly exclusively to documentaries about the Holocaust, interviews with survivors and sombre music.
Israelis at a Tel Aviv train station stop and stand for a minute of silence to remember the Jewish victims of the Holocaust, April 24 2017.
"It is a race against the clock to collect as many names of those murdered during the Holocaust before there are no more survivors left", said Alexander Avram, the director of Vad Vashem's Hall of Names.More news: France's mainstream politicians unite to back Macron over Le Pen
U.S. President Donald Trump said anti-Semitism should be defeated and called the Holocaust the "darkest chapter of human history" in a video address on Sunday, following two missteps by his administration regarding statements about genocide during World War Two.
"After WWII we saw an effort to say never again and build global structures to prevent the same kinds of fights which led, to among other things, the holocaust", he says. They could hardly be more different: Pro-European centrist Emmanuel Macron is facing anti-immigration, anti-EU Marine Le Pen in France's presidential runoff May 7.More news: Stocks under Consideration: Hasbro Inc. (HAS), Lloyds Banking Group plc (LYG)
- Exit polls predict AAP rout, BJP win in Delhi
- 'Mutual Interest' Between The New York Giants & LeGarrette Blount
- EU's Mogherini, on Moscow visit, says bloc's Russia sanctions to stay
- Donald Trump calls to congratulate record-setting astronaut
- Controversy over Wall Street's bull
- Britain's Labour to guarantee European Union citizens' rights if wins election
- Trump urges more UN sanctions for N.Korea
- Darmian backs Rashford to become one of world´s best
- Top Afghan Defense Officials Resign After Attack Kills More Than 100 Troops
- Real duo out of Gijon trip