U.S. Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA) dropped a political bombshell on Tuesday, revealing that he expects a Supreme Court resignation by this summer.
"I think we'll have another Supreme Court vacancy this summer", Cruz said at the time.More news: Out at Fox, Bill O'Reilly denies harassment claims
"I would expect a resignation this summer", Grassley told the Muscatine Journal. "That Justice Kennedy has been telling friends and colleagues that he intends to retire this year, possibly after the current term of the Supreme Court is up on June 30", he said.
Grassley predicted any new Supreme Court nominee would come from the list of potential justices put forward by Trump before he won the election.More news: French presidential candidates halt campaigns in wake of Paris attack
The newest Supreme Court justice, Neil Gorsuch, has had an early taste of the weighty power that sometimes comes to a member of the nation's highest court. "If that happens, as much as the left is insane now, they will go full Armageddon meltdown". Republicans now have 52 seats in the Senate, all but ensuring any GOP-favored nominee would sail through. In his first week on the court hearing oral arguments, Gorsuch has kept his nerves in check and received compliments from the media for his sagacious line of questioning.
While Justice Kennedy, 80, is oft rumored to be considering retirement, there are several justices whose advanced age could signal a coming retirement. Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg is 84 and Justice Stephen Breyer is 78 years old.More news: The Revolution's Wendy Melvoin Talks About Paying Tribute to Prince
Gorsuch cast the deciding vote Thursday night to deny a stay request from Arkansas death-row inmates facing execution. "Conservative Justice Antonin Scalia had died, creating the first opportunity in decades to move the court to the left on issues including the environment and civil rights".
- Samsung is reportedly working on a rugged Galaxy S8 Active for AT&T
- Stockholm attack prime suspect admits to terror crime
- Trump Jr.'s prairie dog hunt in Montana prompts backlash
- Apple Design, Supply Issues Might Delay This Year's iPhone Release
- Gary Cahill treated for gastroenteritis, reveals Chelsea boss Antonio Conte
- China seriously concerned over North Korea's nuclear programme
- Oil prices mixed after US production seen rising
- Support to legalize marijuana hits all-time high
- Bill O'Reilly Out at Fox, Lineup Shaken Up
- Prince's Hometown Turns Purple On 1st Anniversary