They came hours after state media in Pyongyang warned that a pre-emptive strike by North Korea would result in the US and South Korea being "completely destroyed in an instant".
The joint US-South Korea military drills are due to finish at the end of April, and a US aircraft carrier strike group, led by the USS Carl Vinson, is also heading towards the Korean Peninsula, Trump's administration has said.
The council said North Korea's illegal missile and nuclear activities "are greatly increasing tension in the region and beyond" and expressed "utmost concern" at its "highly destabilizing behavior and flagrant and provocative defiance" of six United Nations sanctions resolutions.
South Korea said yesterday it was on heightened alert ahead of another important anniversary in North Korea, with a large concentration of military hardware amassed on both sides of the border amid concerns about a new nuclear test by Pyongyang. One propaganda film past year featured animation of a North Korean, nuclear-tipped ICBM striking New York City.More news: USA again puts faith in China to rein in North Korea
A previous Security Council statement, released two days after Pyongyang's April 4 missile test launch, noted the commitment of council members to "a peaceful, diplomatic and political solution to the situation and welcomed efforts by council members, as well as other states, to facilitate a peaceful and comprehensive solution through dialogue".
A United States city is the epicenter of a nuclear bomb in a disturbing new propaganda video released by North Korea.
China has placed some of its bomber fleet on heightened alert status, according to USA officials, but it is unclear what may have prompted the move.More news: Arkansas executes Ledell Lee
On April 14, US media reported that US President Donald Trump might order a strike against North Korea if Pyongyang chose to carry out another nuclear weapon test. In return, he said, the USA will accept trade deficits with China. Lavrov added that he hopes the United States will not take any unilateral action against Pyongyang. "Solve the problem in North Korea". Trump says his military options are on the table but can he really put them into action?
U.S. defence secretary Jim Mattis warned that North Korea's latest failed missile launch was a reckless act of provocation and assured allies in Asia that America was ready to work to achieve a peaceful denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula.
Earlier this month, the USA said it was moving a Navy strike group into the West Pacific toward the Korean Peninsula in response to growing concerns over Pyongyang's weapons program. The visit comes after the DPRK test-fired a ballistic missile, which exploded soon after lift-off, with speculation of another possible nuclear test.More news: Fox dumps popular host Bill O'Reilly
- Toronto mayor maps out issues for housing meeting
- Mika Zibanejad's OT goal lifts New York Rangers past Montreal Canadiens
- Democratic Korea is Ready to Repel US Attack
- PDP worker killed, 2 injured in Jammu and Kashmir
- Manchester United's Jose Mourinho not giving up on top-four finish
- Wall Street set to open slightly higher; French election eyed
- Ronaldo tried to recruit Bayern star in controversial CL clash
- Sanders, Perez kick off tour in Portland
- David Moyes has no problems with Sunderland fans
- Cavs take 3-0 lead