This is the first reporting period to include Sony's Horizon: Zero Dawn, which launched on February 28.
The list of games is compiled between US dollar sales and combined digital and physical sales as provided by the publishers, save for Sony and Nintendo. All figures in this post do not cover the entire industry spend.
The release of Switch and all the great games launched in March boosted overall video game spending, which includes hardware, software and accessories, to more than $1.3B, or a jump of 24% over previous year.More news: Struggling apparel retailer Bebe Stores to shut all stores
Moreover, sales of Nintendo's video game "The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild", for the Switch, were over 900,000 units, which NPD says was an "attach rate" of 99% - basically, everyone who bought a Switch bought Zelda - which was a record attach rate for a "non-bundled" game, again, since NPD's records back to 1995.
This uptick in sales is notable, as total physical sales had previously declined every month for the past year months.
Speaking of the Switch, it managed to outsell both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 in March, despite its limited availability. Total US hardware sales "almost doubled" Naji said, rising to $485 million. Switch accessories composed a quarter of the market in March to go with the consoles, and the best selling controller of the month was the Switch Pro Controller.More news: Comedian Don Rickles dies at 90
Nintendo Switch sold 906,000 units in its first month on sale, while Breath of the Wild racked up 1.3 million sales between Switch and Wii U. "The two Nintendo Switch SKUs, the 32GB Gray Joy-Con, followed by the 32GB Neon Red/Blue Joy-Con, were the best-selling systems for the month".
The top-selling game in the United States for March 2017 was Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands, followed by The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.More news: Soyuz space capsule with American, Russian blasts off for International Space Station
- Father of Tennessee girl says he is overjoyed
- Wounded vet running Boston Marathon carries race partner across finish line
- United Kingdom delays decision on Sky merger approval
- Made Aadhaar mandatory to prevent fund diversion to shell companies: Centre
- Jose Mourinho fears worst after Ibrahimovic and Rojo Injuries sour European win
- IFixit Galaxy S8 Teardown Gives It A 4/10 For Repairability
- Bill O'Reilly to get payout up to $25 million
- Oil prices flatten as rise in United States production weighs
- Nashville Predators complete sweep of Chicago Blackhawks
- Injury won't impact Wilshere's Arsenal future, says Wenger