But Sanchez completed Monday's marathon, just as he did previous year, carrying the American flag, and wearing a "Semper Fi" t-shirt.
The first woman to run the race 50 years ago, though she hid it then. The Portland, Ore. resident bettered the previous mark by almost four minutes in what was perhaps the performance of the day at the Boston Marathon. Women were considered too fragile to run the distance. During this year's Boston Marathon, however, he walked.
She also posted her finish on social media. "People who couldn't be out there and running for them", said Carlson.More news: Soyuz space capsule with American, Russian blasts off for International Space Station
Switzer and her coach pored through the rules and regulations about the Boston Marathon and couldn't find anything about gender.
In 1963 two women crashed the Western Hemisphere Marathon in Culver City, Calif., and one finished.
But while Gibb seemed to pass unnoticed during the run, race director Jock Semple was infuriated and went after Switzer midrace. She persevered and finished the race, and she's since been on a mission to create opportunities and equal sport status for women.More news: Rex Tillerson declares end to 'strategic patience' with Iran
This isn't Granville's first marathon either - he used a hand-bike to compete in marathons in Boston, Chicago, Detroit and NY despite his injury but didn't use a bike this time around. At the starting line today, a runner returning.
It's been 50 years since the first woman completed the 26.2 mile journey from Hopkinton to Boylton St.
'It's not for me, it's for others to be inspired, to be motivated, ' he said of running the race in an interview with WBZ. Switzer asked. "As negative as that experience was, it became the best thing in my life".More news: Father of Tennessee girl says he is overjoyed
- Jose Mourinho fears worst after Ibrahimovic and Rojo Injuries sour European win
- Everyone is making the same point about sexual harassment at Fox
- Sanders Urges Party To Go Beyond Comfort Zone
- Lingard: Herrera was key to Chelsea win
- Herrera vows to keep proving his worth
- 'Zelda' on Switch Breaks Records for a Nintendo Debut
- Utah Jazz center Jeff Withey faces domestic violence probe
- Bill O'Reilly to get payout up to $25 million
- Oil prices flatten as rise in United States production weighs
- Comedian Don Rickles dies at 90