(Vatican Radio) The so-called Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for a shooting in Paris that has killed one policeman, and injured two other officers as well as a bystander on the central boulevard of the Champs-Elysées.
He was shot dead in return fire while trying to escape, police sources said.
Citing prosecutors, broadcaster BFMTV said the three suspects were family members of the man who shot a male officer as he sat in a police bus on Thursday evening.
Belgian officials had warned French authorities before the attack that El Osri was a "very risky individual en route to France" aboard a high-speed train.
Police swept through the family home in Chelles in eastern Paris looking for evidence of links with Daesh "ISIL", who claimed he was acting on their behalf.
Security in Paris has been building in recent days, but the presence of 50,000 police officers on the streets weren't enough to prevent the latest assault, which a source tells CNN is being treated as an act of terror.More news: US reviewing Venezuela's seizure of General Motors assets
"A little after 9 PM a vehicle stopped alongside a police auto which was parked".
The gunman pulled up next to the police vehicle, took out an automatic weapon and started shooting, New York Post quoted Interior Ministry Spokesman Pierre-Henry Brandet, Efe news reported.
France has remained in a state of emergency since 2015.
A statement released through ISIS' mouthpiece, Amaq News Agency, said the terror group was responsible for the attack, and named the attacker as Abu Yousuf "the Belgian".
French President François Hollande convened a meeting of the country's defense council Friday.
The 11 candidates were appearing on a television program ahead of the first round of voting in the two-part election when the attack occurred'.More news: Trump to attend three Asian summits in November: Pence
The Champs Elysees attack comes just before France's presidential elections.
Mr Jugele was identified by Flag!, a French association of LGBT police officers.
Far-right candidate Marine Le Pen said the attack showed the time for naivety "is over". Earlier this week, French law-enforcers reported that they prevented a serious terrorist attack in Marseille, where two suspected Islamists plotted an attack on a presidential candidate. What can you say?
Sky's Mark White said: All the indications are that it was a terrorist attack. We'll move quickly to correct the record and we'll only point to the best information we have at the time.
U.S. President Donald Trump, speaking in Washington during a scheduled press conference with Italian Prime Minister Paolo Gentiloni shortly after learning of the shooting, said that it "looks like another terrorist attack". "It just never ends".More news: Oil Prices Fall to 11-day Low on US Shale Output Surge
- Fresno shooting suspect due in court on murder charge
- Wide area of San Francisco hit by power outage
- Uh oh: Samsung Galaxy S8 could have a big problem
- National Hockey League playoffs: Senators at Bruins Game 3
- Microsoft's Platform Independent "To-Do" app Launched as Preview Version
- House intel panel to hear from top officials on Russia probe
- Trump signs law rolling back U.S. abortion clinics funding protection
- James leads Cavs to record second-half comeback win over Pacers
- Authorities: Tennessee student, teacher found in California
- 2 more charged in Michigan genital mutilation investigation