Overall, it was a somewhat productive week for Djokovic, who gained some rhythm and match play while appearing alright in the wake of his elbow injury that forced him out of Miami.
"It's just unfortunate I missed my chances in the beginning of the third set to go a double break up", said Djokovic who had led 4-2 in the decider. Then, there was that unfortunate game when I dropped my serve, the match turned around.
Yet Goffin, who had only previously won one set in five matches against his opponent, hung in there and broke back to level at 4-4 before claiming a major scalp when the favourite netted a backhand under huge pressure after fending off four match points. He fired a forehand victor to break Novak in the opening game and another great forehand helped him to save a break point in game 2 to confirm his lead.More news: Bill Murray To Release Debut Album This Year
"I started slowly probably because I played two long matches (in the previous rounds)", he told atpworldtour.com.
Former world No.1 Nadal made fairly light work of his quarter-final, beating Diego Schwartzman in straight sets. The 10th-seeded Goffin kept his calm to take the first set 6-2. Goffin saved two break points in game 3, which was very important for him to avoid a further setback and to stay within one break apart. But, remained calm enough to hold serve.
After dumping out Murray in the third round the day before, the diminutive Spaniard returned to knock-out mode as he tamed Cilic to surge into the first Masters 1000 semi-final of his career.More news: Cyclone Cook: Evacuations as huge storm lashes north New Zealand
Stuttering world number one Andy Murray will attempt to get his season back on track after the Scot accepted an invitation to compete at the Barcelona Open next week.
(15) Albert Ramos-Vinolas bt.More news: Teacher accused of kidnapping student due in court
In later quarter-finals at the Roland Garros warm-up event second seed Djokovic faces Belgian Goffin, while Rafael Nadal continues his bid for a record 10th title at the tournament, playing Argentine Schwartzman.
- UN Security Council condemns North Korea missile test
- If China Wants 'To Solve The North Korea Problem, They Will'
- Tillerson accuses Iran of 'provocations'
- Sensational Isco spares Real Madrid's blushes against Sporting
- Kris Jenner slams Caitlyn's memoir: It's 'all made up'
- Joining high court, the real Neil Gorsuch set to stand up
- Chelsea and Spurs get four players in team of the year
- NHL Playoff Standings 2017: Current Bracket Matchups and Postseason Picture
- US President Donald Trump calls North Korea a 'menace'
- Oil recoups losses, but USA oil output growth weighs