Overall, it was a somewhat productive week for Djokovic, who gained some rhythm and match play while appearing alright in the wake of his elbow injury that forced him out of Miami.
"It's just unfortunate I missed my chances in the beginning of the third set to go a double break up", said Djokovic who had led 4-2 in the decider. Then, there was that unfortunate game when I dropped my serve, the match turned around.
Yet Goffin, who had only previously won one set in five matches against his opponent, hung in there and broke back to level at 4-4 before claiming a major scalp when the favourite netted a backhand under huge pressure after fending off four match points. He fired a forehand victor to break Novak in the opening game and another great forehand helped him to save a break point in game 2 to confirm his lead.More news: Tillerson accuses Iran of 'provocations'
"I started slowly probably because I played two long matches (in the previous rounds)", he told atpworldtour.com.
Former world No.1 Nadal made fairly light work of his quarter-final, beating Diego Schwartzman in straight sets. The 10th-seeded Goffin kept his calm to take the first set 6-2. Goffin saved two break points in game 3, which was very important for him to avoid a further setback and to stay within one break apart. But, remained calm enough to hold serve.
After dumping out Murray in the third round the day before, the diminutive Spaniard returned to knock-out mode as he tamed Cilic to surge into the first Masters 1000 semi-final of his career.More news: Bill O'Reilly Out, Georgia Runoff, Turkish Vote46:37
Stuttering world number one Andy Murray will attempt to get his season back on track after the Scot accepted an invitation to compete at the Barcelona Open next week.
(15) Albert Ramos-Vinolas bt.More news: If China Wants 'To Solve The North Korea Problem, They Will'
In later quarter-finals at the Roland Garros warm-up event second seed Djokovic faces Belgian Goffin, while Rafael Nadal continues his bid for a record 10th title at the tournament, playing Argentine Schwartzman.
- Samsung says Galaxy S8 pre-orders beat S7
- North Korea: Nuclear war may start any moment because Trump is 'crazy'
- US President Donald Trump calls North Korea a 'menace'
- Teacher accused of kidnapping student due in court
- UN Security Council condemns North Korea missile test
- South Korea on heightened alert as North Korea prepares for army celebration
- Joining high court, the real Neil Gorsuch set to stand up
- Bill Murray To Release Debut Album This Year
- What is Manchester United's best route to UCL football next season?
- Paris attack: Police officer shot dead, another wounded, Champs Elysees closed off