Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho painted a bleak picture after injuries to striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic and defender Marcos Rojo tainted his side's victory over Anderlecht and progression to the Europa League semi-finals.
With 28 goals in all competitions so far this season, losing Ibrahimovic would be a costly blow at this important stage of the campaign.
In the end, United needed an extra-time victor from Marcus Rashford to seal the tie, but not before experiencing some nervy moments with the Belgians throwing the kitchen sink at them.More news: Should McDonald's workers get $50G reward in Facebook murder case?
Mourinho recently said Jones and Smalling wouldn't be back until mid-May but with Rojo now out, the coach called on the England center backs to play through the pain barrier to help out the team. Anderlecht manager Rene Weiler: "I'm really happy with the way we played but obviously less happy with the result". If it was me, it [returning from injury] would be tomorrow.
Shaw, frequently criticised this season, played 120 minutes as United edged to the Europa League semifinals with a 2-1 extra time triumph at Old Trafford on Thursday.
"He can not play every game", Mourinho said after being asked if Rashford was capable of filling in for Ibrahimovic.
Rojo's injury leaves United potentially short in defence as Phil Jones and Chris Smalling are sidelined.More news: Future of revamped health care bill remains dubious in House
"Luke Shaw today did something for me new that means a lot for me". Okay you speak about his (Rashford's) qualities but he was not scoring a goal since September.
"They cannot do miracles but with a special spirit, instead of coming back mid-May you can come back at the beginning of May".
"'If you need to make a change in another position, do it, because I'm ready for it'". The Red Devils dominated RSC Anderlecht and could have killed the game off way earlier than they did.
Manchester United are still in the race for a top-four place and, by advancing to the Europa League semifinals, are only 270 minutes away from winning not just that tournament, but the Champions League place that comes with it.More news: #BREAKING 7 Man United Fans, Not 30 Died in Calabar Electrocution
"I imagine the players are more exhausted then me but we are in the draw tomorrow and we still have the dream to win the competition".
- Ronaldo and Messi face off to decide Spanish league title
- French police hunting second suspect after Paris attack
- With Masters Win, Sergio Garcia Headed for Biz Breakthrough
- American Carrier Not Really Headed For North Korea After All
- United Airlines Won't Be Firing Anyone Over Dr. David Dao's Assault
- Jose Mourinho seriously negative on Man United injuries
- Tennessee girl safe, teacher arrested near California cabin
- Some US companies that have left or scaled back in Venezuela
- Man City's Jesus in line for Wembley return against Arsenal
- How the Paris police shooting could shape the French election