Pep Guardiola admits that Manchester City is "far away" from being able to compete with teams contesting the Champions League quarterfinal, but not because of its inferior quality.
The injury-plagued City skipper rose highest to head in a David Siva corner for his first goal since August 2015.
The excellent Leroy Sane added a second on the counter-attack, and moments later Sergio Aguero nodded his 11th goal in as many games from a Kevin De Bruyne cross.
The Saints have registered back-to-back wins, leading to only one defeat in their last six, taking them closer to yet another finish in the top 10.
The former FC Barcelona manager has not endured the same amount of success in his first season with City, as he did with his previous two clubs.More news: United Airlines can't say if video has hit sales
City produced another impressive display to win their second successive game to climb up to third in the Premier League table.
Kompany is contracted to City until 2019, but The Mirror claim that Everton and West Ham United will both be interested in signing Kompany this summer should he prove his fitness between now and the end of the season.
The injury-plagued Kompany has made just seven appearances so far this season, and celebrated passionately in front of the travelling fans.
City's defensive resilience meant keeper Claudio Bravo - trusted again by Guardiola - barely had to make a save.
"That's why I'm so so glad for the fans we have, because for the first time in my life I have experienced that".More news: Medical Properties Trust Inc. Posted gains of 1.65% in the Last Trade
"It depends on the opponent, the pressing, what I see in the training sessions, so we are going to see".
"Two teams (Chelsea and Tottenham) are already done and there are four top teams fighting for two positions".
Manchester City manager, Pep Guardiola has revealed what he misses about La Liga and the Bundesliga.
Minutes later and the Japanese global had his head in his hands again when, having caught the Saints back line napping, Kevin De Bryune broke and squared to Sane, who calmly slotted past the helpless Forster.
"This result is so important for our qualification for the Champions League", said Guardiola, whose side host neighbours United in their next league game.More news: Iran's FM reacts to Tillerson's criticism on nuclear deal
- PM Modi visits Lingaraj temple in Bhubaneshwar
- Palatin Technologies, Inc. (PTN) Short Interest Up 1.2% in March
- Riverdale's Shannon Purser Reveals She's Bisexual
- 'Infowars' host Jones says his on-air persona not a 'trick'
- Trump's Korean armada stays near Australia
- The right response: Trump takes appropriate action to thwart atrocities in Syria
- Texas House approves major school finance fix; Senate's plan uncertain
- I won't say whether we sabotaged North Korea missile test
- Oracle Buys Digital Measurement Specialist Moat
- Like Trump, China Has No Good North Korea Options: QuickTake Q&A