Stuttering world number one Andy Murray will attempt to get his season back on track after the Scot accepted an invitation to compete at the Barcelona Open next week.
He will face the victor of the match between Rafa Nadal and Diego Schwartzman in the semi-finals.
Cilic seemed to be in command when he broke at the start of the third set.More news: United Nations condemns North Korea missile launch after Russia, US spar over words
The Spaniard, taking part in his fifth clay court tournament this year, will now face the victor of the match between Uruguayan Pablo Cuevas and Frenchman Lucas Pouille.
Murray suffered a shock third-round loss to Spain's 15th-seed Albert Ramos-Vinolas 2-6, 6-2, 7-5 in more than two and a half hours.
A quarter-finalist at Wimbledon and the US Open past year, Pouille let an early lead slip in the decider and was staring at defeat when Cuevas moved 5-3 up. "It will be super hard". Ramos-Vinolas converted 6 chances to take the first and third sets easily, and he could avoid the second set drama as well to cut the match time significantly.More news: Wells Fargo ups sales practices settlement to $142 million
Ramos-Vinolas could have got the win quicker, up a set and leading 5-3 in the second-set tie-break, only for Cilic to level things.
The Spaniard then dropped serve in the first game of set three, but broke back at the fifth attempt in game four and duly reeled off the next four games to seal his win.
The decider was anyone's guess. Spaniard kept his second serve safe and he repelled 3 out of 5 break points, while Marin struggled to find his first serve and he had to play against 12 break points.More news: Russian Federation vetoes Security Council resolution on alleged chemical attack in Syria
With Cuevas on serve again at 5-6, Pouille clinched victory on his second match point when the former hit another backhand long.
- At least 1 DOC officer disciplined in Hernandez death investigation
- Ramos and Pique rivalry underlines Clasico tension
- Man who killed NFL star Will Smith sentenced to 25 years
- Karen Handel Wiki: Facts to Know about Georgia's Former Secretary of State
- US pilot ejects from jet approaching carrier headed for Korean peninsula
- Who is the McDonald's employee credited with stalling Steve Stephens?
- Goldman Sachs Maintains Sell on Tesla Inc (TSLA)
- AMD RX 580 price and availability
- Samsung Galaxy S8 pre-orders eclipse S7
- Brisbane win a thriller over the Wanderers