Ideally, the move would ensure that a single person can only have a single Dota 2 account, so highly skilled players couldn't pretend to be novices in a ranked match. Valve has announced some counter-measures for the same.
Valve are making some big changes in the matchmaking update for Dota 2, ruining the experience for cheaters and disruptive players, while hopefully streamlining it for legitimate players.
If you don't have a registered number with your account, then you won't be able to play any Ranked matches. The idea, Valve states is to create enough friction to make it annoying or hard to abuse MMR via accounts and using phone numbers does essentially limit the amount of accounts an MMR abuser has at his disposal. According to the blog post, the aim is to prevent people from using the same number on multiple accounts.More news: West Virginia governor signs medical marijuana bill
Valve says that "online services that provide phone numbers are not allowed", so potential workarounds to create a new "valid" number shouldn't work.
The update also brings back the Solo Queue, so players in ranked matchmaking can opt to only be matched up with other solo players.
All in all, these are some much called-for but necessary changes in the DotA 2 matchmaking system but quite a few of them may also be controversial as a result.More news: Prince William, Kate and Prince Harry launch new media centre
"For the time being, players in these regions will need to join Ranked Matchmaking queues in one of the other nearby supported servers". Let us know in the comments. What's more, if a number is removed from one account, you'll have to wait three months before it can be added to a new account. I'm kind of against this on principle (again: no phone) but I don't really play Ranked, so...
Valve have also added "better detection for clear cases of intentional feeding", as well as unspecified "stricter punishments" for those who do this sort of thing.
This update comes as Valve also looks to crack down on Smurfing. To combat what many would argue is widespread abuse of the DotA 2 Ranked Matchmaking experience. A welcome addition for people who play solo all the time. Ad free, actively shape the site content, and gain priority access to contests and giveaways.More news: Gwen Stefani & Blake Shelton May Leave 'The Voice' After Miley Cyrus Returns
- Arkansas Executes 1st Inmate Since 2005
- Pence Visits Carrier as Questions Emerge Over Trump's `Armada'
- 'Facebook killer' Steve Stephens dead, Pennsylvania police say
- Colin Miller ready to return for Bruins tonight
- Ivanka Trump promises to donate book profits to charity
- Nearing 100 days with limited accomplishments, Trump calls it a 'ridiculous standard'
- House Oversight head Chaffetz to leave Congress after 2018
- Rumor: Intel Will Launch Coffee Lake, Basin Falls Earlier Than Expected
- Despite Rulings, Arkansas Governor And AG Vow To Pursue Executions
- George HW Bush still in hospital; George W Bush visits