Ideally, the move would ensure that a single person can only have a single Dota 2 account, so highly skilled players couldn't pretend to be novices in a ranked match. Valve has announced some counter-measures for the same.
Valve are making some big changes in the matchmaking update for Dota 2, ruining the experience for cheaters and disruptive players, while hopefully streamlining it for legitimate players.
If you don't have a registered number with your account, then you won't be able to play any Ranked matches. The idea, Valve states is to create enough friction to make it annoying or hard to abuse MMR via accounts and using phone numbers does essentially limit the amount of accounts an MMR abuser has at his disposal. According to the blog post, the aim is to prevent people from using the same number on multiple accounts.More news: Tesla recalling 53000 vehicles worldwide for brake problem
Valve says that "online services that provide phone numbers are not allowed", so potential workarounds to create a new "valid" number shouldn't work.
The update also brings back the Solo Queue, so players in ranked matchmaking can opt to only be matched up with other solo players.
All in all, these are some much called-for but necessary changes in the DotA 2 matchmaking system but quite a few of them may also be controversial as a result.More news: Ronda Rousey announces engagement to fighter Travis Browne
"For the time being, players in these regions will need to join Ranked Matchmaking queues in one of the other nearby supported servers". Let us know in the comments. What's more, if a number is removed from one account, you'll have to wait three months before it can be added to a new account. I'm kind of against this on principle (again: no phone) but I don't really play Ranked, so...
Valve have also added "better detection for clear cases of intentional feeding", as well as unspecified "stricter punishments" for those who do this sort of thing.
This update comes as Valve also looks to crack down on Smurfing. To combat what many would argue is widespread abuse of the DotA 2 Ranked Matchmaking experience. A welcome addition for people who play solo all the time. Ad free, actively shape the site content, and gain priority access to contests and giveaways.More news: Cavs erase 26-point deficit for win
- Prince William, Kate and Prince Harry launch new media centre
- Rumor: Intel Will Launch Coffee Lake, Basin Falls Earlier Than Expected
- Egypt parliament approves three-month state of emergency after Church bombings
- Arkansas Executes 1st Inmate Since 2005
- Macron urges calm in wake of police shooting
- WhatsApp admins beware: Offensive posts can land you in jail
- The Weekend In Numbers: FA Cup semi final focus
- George HW Bush still in hospital; George W Bush visits
- Nearing 100 days with limited accomplishments, Trump calls it a 'ridiculous standard'
- 25 years for ex-Saint's killer in 'profoundly sad' case