Geoffrey Kirui won the 121st edition of the men's race on Monday, and Edna Kiplagat won the women's division to complete the first Kenyan sweep in five years. He had the 1,254th fastest time in a field of more than 32,000. Last year, he finished the Boston Marathon in under 6 hours.
"It's so exciting to see Americans being competitive here", said Rupp, the Olympic bronze medalist who was making his Boston debut.More news: U.S. vice president Pence wraps up visit to Japan
Spitzer said her return to the race in 2017 was a way to, "celebrate the fact, first of all, that I can run - that I'm capable of doing it, amazingly enough, and I'm very, very grateful for that".
Rounding out the top 10 were runners from California, Arizona, Colorado, Oregon and Utah. "We have the podium for both men and women, so the future is great". Kiplagat opened up a big lead heading into the dreaded Newton hills, and won in an official 2 hours, 21 minutes, 52 seconds. She won the New York City marathon in 1974. She was the 9,859th woman to finish today's race. I realized I wasn't going to get a good pace. "Be fearless." This year, 13,712 women signed up for the race, according to ABC News.More news: Former taxi driver Gary Wilson puts the brakes on Ronnie O'Sullivan
"In my mind, I was sure that one day I would win this race", said Kirui, 25, who was running just his third marathon. "I knew I would challenge some of the champions who have been competing here".
Security will be high along the course, that begins in Hopkinton, Massachusetts, and passes through Boston's suburbs to the finish line on Boylston Street, where a pair of ethnic Chechen brothers in 2013 set off two homemade bombs, killing three people and injuring more than 200. It's the first number to be retired, though B.A.A. spokesman Jack Fleming said No. 61 has been held out of circulation in honor of Johnny Kelley, who started the race a record 61 times (and finished 58).More news: Madrid clubs back on top in European soccer
- Toronto up 2-1 on Washington
- Juve Dump Barca Out Of UCL To Book Semi-Final Spot
- Donald Trump signs 'Buy American, Hire American' executive order
- Prison Officials Didn't Believe That Aaron Hernandez Was Suicidal
- Purple Georgia 6th: Ossoff Scores Big Win But Faces June Runoff
- Real Brexit talks will only start after June vote: EU Commission
- In race war, man goes on killing spree, murders 3
- Love game for Serena: Spox says Williams is pregnant
- Tennis star Serena Williams confirms she is pregnant after Snapchat selfie
- Trump's EPA To Reconsider Oil And Gas Emissions Rule