Sunday, 19 August 2018
Latest news
Main » NatGeo says no decision on O'Reilly book

NatGeo says no decision on O'Reilly book

20 April 2017

"But that is the unfortunate reality many of us in the public eye must live with today", O'Reilly said in the statement, which was emailed by crisis communications expert Mark Fabiani.

Fox News Channel's parent company sacked O'Reilly on Wednesday following an investigation into the allegations, bringing a stunning end to cable news' most popular programme and one that came to define the bravado of his network over 20 years. "I wish only the best for Fox News Channel".

One of the multiple women who sued him - Juliet Huddy, according to The New York Times, who settled for $1.6 million when O'Reilly allegedly pursued a sexual relationship with her - complained that once, when he tried to kiss her, she pulled away and fell to the ground and he didn't help her up. But the New York Times reported that two of the O'Reilly settlements were reached after Ailes left.

This is a developing story. The Times duly reported Mackris "never worked in television news again", to which a cynic might say, who would work again with that dough burning a hole in your pocket? "In fact, his success by any measure is indisputable".

O'Reilly is on a vacation that on Wednesday took him to Francis' general audience in St. Peter's Square.

More news: South African president brands anti-govt protests 'racist'

Author Stephen King tweeted: "New book by Fox News: Killing Bill O'Reilly".

The news of O'Reilly's departure comes on the heels of an exodus of advertisers from his show's time slot. O'Reilly took his leave Wednesday afternoon, and Fox shares fell 0.9 percent to $30.39 at the close in NY.

The muted response stood in stark contrast to how O'Reilly defended himself against sexual harassment allegations back in 2004, and the scorched earth counteroffensive mounted last summer by supporters of former Fox News chief Roger Ailes after he faced his own harassment allegations.

O'Reilly is now on vacation and, barring a decision otherwise by the Murdochs, scheduled to return to his show on April 24.

"That's bigger than O'Reilly", he said.

More news: Columbus Blue Jackets Defenseman Zach Werenski Out for Remainder of Playoffs

Liberal groups which had long opposed O'Reilly, and had been pushing advertisers to join the boycott, celebrated the news Wednesday.

Yet the allegations against O'Reilly fit into an uncomfortable narrative for the cable news network. He has been the face of the network since its launch in 1996 and the most-watched cable news host 15 years in a row. Ousting O'Reilly, he said, "does not speak to a changed culture".

By Jayant's calculations, annual revenue and earnings growth will probably take a hit of less than half a percentage point as a result of O'Reilly's leaving.

TheBlaze founder (and former Fox News host) weighed in on the sexual harassment allegations against O'Reilly, saying that the The O'Reilly Factor host was likely in his final 24 hours at Fox News.

O'Reilly's attorney claimed on Tuesday that his client - a long-time conservative media icon - had been the target of a "smear campaign" financed by leftwing activist organisations.

More news: Facebook's AR camera platform to empower developers