Russian Federation has denied that it is setting up a military base in northwestern Syria in an agreement with YPG militia and will be training YPG fighters, the defense ministry said Monday. Ankara views the YPG as an extension of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), which is waging an insurgency inside Turkey.
"An agreement was signed between our units and Russian forces operating in Syria that will train us in modern military tactics", Xalil told AFP.
The militia's spokesman Redur Xelil had claimed earlier Monday that they had concluded the agreement with Russia on Sunday, and that Russian troops had already arrived at the position in the northwestern province of Afrin with troop carriers and armored vehicles.More news: Nektar Opioid Drug Does Well In Study (NKTR, EGLT)
"This is the first agreement of its kind, although we have had previous cooperation [with the Russians] in Aleppo city", he added.
Moscow will set up a military base in the Kurdish-controlled town, he said, as Russian military police entered Afrin on Monday.
The U.S. -backed YPG has proven to be one of the most effective forces battling the Islamic State group, and has carved out a semi-autonomous zone along the Turkish frontier. It receives equipment, weapons and air support from the US.More news: Congress awaits FBI, NSA testimony on Russia-Trump links
"Some are working with us through the Syrian Democratic Forces to fight ISIS (IS), some are not".
Russian Federation is a long-term backer of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, but also recently worked closely with rebel supporter Turkey to try to end the six-year war in Syria.
The Foreign Office advises against all travel to Syria and says "anyone who does travel to these areas, for whatever reason, is putting themselves in considerable danger".More news: Surface book 2 will hit the market soon
- Investor Research Report on The Medicines Company (MDCO)
- Idea Cellular approves Vodafone merger with itself; shares gain
- Theresa May to trigger Article 50 on March 29
- Dave Chappelle Explains How Comedy Central Hurt His Feelings With 'Key & Peele'
- Lookout for Price Target? Amkor Technology, Inc. (AMKR), Wintrust Financial Corporation (WTFC)
- Microsoft releases Windows 10 cumulative update 14393.969
- 'Modern Family' teen Rico Rodriguez announces the death of his dad
- California Company Recalls Edamame Due To Possible Listeria Contamination
- Xiaomi Mi 6 high-end variant to pack 6GB RAM, 256GB storage
- Wenger told me he will stay at Arsenal, reveals Pulis