US President Donald Trump will host Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi at the White House on Monday.
Trump said he also would address what he described as a "vacuum" that was created when so-called Islamic State (IS) militants took over large swaths of territory in western and northern Iraq.
He has vowed to eradicate "radical Islamic terrorism".More news: State Senator Daniel Biss Announces Candidacy For Governor
In front of reporters in the Oval Office, Trump declined to respond to questions about wiretapping, according to a pool report.
Abadi's regime, dominated by the same Muslim Shiite sect as governs Iran, maintains a close relationship with the Iranian government and Iranian fighters are assisting the Iraqi government in the campaign against the Islamic State.
Government forces retook the east side of Mosul in January before setting their sights on the more densely populated west of the city, the last major urban center the IS group holds in Iraq.More news: Creighton falls to Villanova in Big East championship game
Trump's budget proposal would cut by roughly 30 per cent funding for the State Department and the U.S. Agency for International Development. How Iraq will be impacted by Trump's approach isn't known. In dropping Iraq from the list of nations subject to a 90-day ban on entry to the US, the Trump administration officials cited assurances on the quality of information for vetting Iraqis as well as the military cooperation between the USA and Iraq.
President Donald Trump is welcoming Iraq's prime minister to the White House for their first meeting since Trump assumed office.
"We are in the last chapter, the final stages to eliminate IS militarily in Iraq", he said in a video statement.More news: Jeff Bezos Goes Full Mech Warrior Piloting Massive 13-Foot Robot
- Idea Cellular approves Vodafone merger with itself; shares gain
- San Antonio Spurs' LaMarcus Aldridge cleared to play after heart issue
- 'Modern Family' teen Rico Rodriguez announces the death of his dad
- Dave Chappelle Explains How Comedy Central Hurt His Feelings With 'Key & Peele'
- Lookout for Price Target? Amkor Technology, Inc. (AMKR), Wintrust Financial Corporation (WTFC)
- Uncharted: The Lost Legacy Will Not Have A Nathan Drake Cameo
- Britain to trigger Brexit process on March 29
- Standard Life And Aberdeen Set Out Co-CEO Responsibilities
- NCAA TOURNAMENT: Oregon's late rally eliminates URI
- Theresa May to trigger Article 50 on March 29