Former UFC fighter War Machine aka Jon Koppenhaver, was found guilty on more than two-dozen charges in connection with an assault on his ex-girlfriend Christy Mackinday and her friend stemming from his arrest in 2014.
Mackinday, a former adult film actress who used the stage name Christy Mack, spent two days testifying during the trial about her life with Koppenhaver, the repeated abuse she endured and the hourslong attack that led to his August 15, 2014, arrest. He was acquitted of charges regarding burglary with a deadly weapon, sexually motivated coercion and battery with intent to commit sexual assault; jurors were also unable to reach a verdict on attempted murder charges regarding Mack and friend Corey Thomas. Each could get him up to life in prison without the possibility of parole.More news: Nearly half of Canadians want illegal immigrants deported back to US
In closing arguments, Leiderman characterized Koppenhaver as a "raging bull" with brain injuries from his fighting career and emotions inflamed by the use of steroids and non-prescription stimulant and antidepressant drugs that combined could have caused mood swings and violence that the defense attorney termed "roid rage". Las Vegas detective Daniel Tomaino testified that he "couldn't understand what she was saying but it was because she didn't have teeth".
Mackinday, who is known as Christy Mack, testified that she was clothed in bed with Thomas when the ex-fighter stormed into her home and assaulted them. The beating stopped, he said, when he asked Koppenhaver if his "end game" was going to be to kill him or let him go. She also had a lacerated liver and severe bruising.More news: Theresa May says she will trigger Brexit next Wednesday
Two charges of attempted murder left the jury hung after deliberation and the judge in the case declared a mistrial on both counts. Prosecutors Rob Stephens and Jacqueline Bluth said he fled because he knew he was guilty. The former fighter has been incarcerated since his apprehension in mid-2014. His final fight was in 2013.More news: Lookout for Price Target? Amkor Technology, Inc. (AMKR), Wintrust Financial Corporation (WTFC)
- Standard Life And Aberdeen Set Out Co-CEO Responsibilities
- Facebook's hardware group is reportedly working on nex-gen products
- Tipping Off: On to the second weekend of the NCAA Tournament
- Pakistan deplores killing of innocent Kashmiris by Indian forces in occupied Kashmir
- Syrian Kurdish militia says it's getting Russian training
- HTC unveils its 'unexpected surprise' announcement, shows off Blue Sapphire U Ultra
- Investor Research Report on The Medicines Company (MDCO)
- Study Sheds Light On Opioid Use Among Children
- President approves Hindu Marriage Bill 2017
- Nektar Opioid Drug Does Well In Study (NKTR, EGLT)