Gordon knows first-hand what it's like living in Julia's world, because her own son has autism.
"And she has autism", the website adds.
"Sesame Street" writer Christine Ferraro hopes Julia, who will appear in two episodes in the current season, will be a recurring character and says, "I would love her to be not Julia, the kid on "Sesame Street" who has autism".More news: India vs Australia: Virat Kohli rues soft ball, denies underbowling Ravichandran Ashwin
Kids pick up a lot from the TV shows they watch.
Having a character that exhibits common traits of autism on the longest running and best-loved children's television is an enormous step.
As for other characters, the show conducted extensive research, including consultations with educators and child psychologists, and in this case autism organizations, to understand how best to normalize autism for non-autistic children. We're modeling the way both children and adults can look at autism from a strength-based perspective: "finding things that all children share", she said.
Julia is at the heart of this effort.More news: What we learned from the hearing on the Trump campaign's Russian Federation ties
The puppeteer who plays Julia, Stacey Gordon, also happens to have a son with autism.
Instead of being treated as an outsider, the reoccurring issue seen in children with autism as they attempt to go about life in school and society, Julia is considered a part of the gang. "I said, 'If she's ever a puppet, I want to BE Julia!'". The team who created Julia spent years talking to families who had children with autism in order to make the depiction as authentic as possible.
"And then it turns into a game where they're all jumping like her". The show runners noted that Julia will meet Big Bird and be hesitant to shake the character's hand. She wishes that Julia's character would make people more aware and also be a source of information for the future generations. He thinks she doesn't like him.
"Hi, Julia", Stahl said to the red-headed Muppet, who remained quiet - the same reaction she'll have when meeting Big Bird in her upcoming debut episode.More news: South Boston St. Paddy's Day parade route shortened because of snow
"Maybe she doesn't like me", Big Bird says.
- Authorities seal 2 slaughter houses in Allahabad
- Korea appeals China's possible violations to WTO: trade minister
- ICE Releases List Of Sanctuary Jurisdictions Set To Lose Federal Funding
- Young Wildcats win to advance to Sweet 16
- Lucky 13 for Chelsea as Cahill bags victor
- United Kingdom to formally trigger Brexit on March 29
- McDonald's Corp. (MCD), Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company (HPE) — Stocks in Focus
- Chrissy Teigen and John Legend's Daughter Luna Says Her First Word
- Theresa May set to visit Wales in bid to unite UK
- Theresa May on hand-holding with Trump: He was being a gentleman