Now that he's saved the world from evil super-villains and solved mysteries in jolly old England, what will Robert Downey Jr. do next?More news: Undefeated Israel beats Netherlands in World Baseball Classic
Universal won the project after what it termed "a highly competitive situation" in Hollywood. Joe Roth and Jeff Kirschenbaum are producing the film for their Roth/Kirschenbaum Films, alongside Susan Downey for Team Downey. The story follows the eccentric Doctor John Dolittle, a former physician who lives with and treats animals, claiming that he can communicate with them.
The film will be called The Voyage of Dr. Dolittle, and though it almost shares a title with one particular 1922 Lofting book, exact plot details are still under wraps. The Fox film was a success and resulted in four sequels, although several went direct-to-video. The book The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle found the Doctor training a young assistant, Tommy Stubbins, and setting off on an adventure to Spider Monkey Island to rescue his kidnapped friend, Long Arrow.More news: Lucky 13 for Chelsea as Cahill bags victor
Stephen Gaghan, who most recently directed Matthew McConaughey's "Gold", will helm the film from his own screenplay.
Downey has starred in the Iron Man, Avengers, and Sherlock Holmes franchises, along with "Tropic Thunder" and "The Judge".More news: Theresa May set to visit Wales in bid to unite UK
- Restoring death penalty in Turkey 'red line' in European Union bid
- BBC America Orders New Top Gear Series, William Fichtner Among Hosts
- Young Wildcats win to advance to Sweet 16
- Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger downplays financial importance of UEFA Champions League qualification
- Wolves To Sign Omri Casspi
- Twitter hails courageous and progressive Sesame Street for new autistic Muppet Julia
- Arsene Wenger 'Determined' to Stay at Arsenal
- Tesla's (TSLA) Hold Rating Reiterated at Sanford C. Bernstein
- ICE Releases List Of Sanctuary Jurisdictions Set To Lose Federal Funding
- United States travel restrictions will affect Montreal flight: airline