The biggest fallers among banks were Raiffeisen Bank (RBIV.VI), Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS.L) and Bank of Ireland (BKIR.I) which all lost more than 2 percent.
Shares in RWE and Innogy were up by 6.8 and 4.2 percent respectively, with traders pointing to the possibility of wider consolidation in the sector should a bid materialize.
RWE said on March 14 it aims to generate an EBITDA adjusted for one-offs of between 5.4 billion euros and 5.7 billion euros in 2017, compared with last year's 5.4 billion euros and the 5.2 billion euros forecast by analysts in a Reuters poll.More news: Military investigating Marine nude photo scandal
Engie Chief Executive Isabelle Kocher is pushing a strategy shift to focus the former French monopoly gas utility more on grids and renewables, but she has given no indication that she wants a transformative deal.
Innogy was spun off from RWE and completed an initial public offering (IPO) in October 2016.
Based on Monday's closing price, Innogy was worth 18.6 billion euros ($19.8 billion), making it Germany's biggest energy company by market valuation.More news: 'Grey's Anatomy' Spoilers: Will Meredith Date Riggs Or Alex In Season 13?
"There are no further corporate decision in place in this context".
In response to the report, RWE said in a statement that it does not comment on press speculation, but noted that its supervisory board had decided back in 2015 that the company can in principle reduce its Innogy stake to 51%.
Listed by RWE a year ago in Germany's biggest IPO since 2000, Innogy is an important source of income for RWE.More news: Why? Randall Coffland and his St Charles twin daughters shot dead
- IPhone 8: New Touch ID tech could push back release date
- Giraffe cam at Animal Adventure Park
- AMD Ryzen 5 1600X and 1500X Scheduled to Arrive Soon
- Dhanush & Anirudh Had Sex with Me - Suchitra Karthik
- All Of The Shrine Locations In Zelda: Breath Of The Wild
- Gamestop to Restock on the Nintendo Switch
- SSC CGL exam 2017: Notification to release on March 11
- Are Nick And Vanessa Still Together, Engaged After The Bachelor Finale?
- Photos of female United States marines shared on Facebook without consent
- Read the bill: GOP proposal for replacing Obamacare